Yeelight Bulb IP Adress

Can you please add an option to the yeelight app to set static ip adress for each bulb please because my router doesnt have that option and it will be really helpfull?

Do you mean your router doesn’t support DHCP??

It supports DHCP but it doesnt support DHCP reservation so the ip adresses of the bulb constantly change when rebooting the router and i have to look them up every time. Thats why i want an option to set static ip adresses so it doesnt change

Why do you need to know the IP address of the bulb? Did you do some programming? If yes, there is a discovery mechanism you can use.

I use Home Assistant on my computer to control them and you have to manual enter the ip adress for each bulb evry time it changes

Please logon to your router and see if there is an option called “dhcp lease time”. You can set that value to a very large number.

It has that option and it was default to forever but as it didnt work i changed it now to 2 weeks which is the largest and i will see if it works

Hopefully it will work. Also, you can ask Home Assistant team to improve the plugin to support dynamic device discovery.

You’re not helpful like this.
Setting DHCP lease time to high is not a definitive solution.
If you know that there’s a way to set static IP with “discovery mechanism”, you should be able to help him.
Supporting dynamic IPs is not simpler than implementing a plugin that set static IPs.
Why should Home Assistant create a plugin and not you?

Anyway you can set static IP by MAC address reservation that is different for each router.

Exactly, this is more a router issue than client (Yeelight app) issue. You need to make static adress on your router (or sometimes they call it “reservation” of adress).

No, please if you don’t know anything don’t talk.
The majority of devices have the option to set static ip FROM the device. Yeelights can’t.
With different routers the situation is the same, so please don’t talk.

That depends what kind of device. I didn’t see MAJORITY of devices like smart bulb can be set with static ip.

Sorry for not knowing anything, I am just 30 years network administrator that really doesn’t know anything… IP adresses are given by DHCP/DNS server, which is your router. Period. Buy a proper router.

In fact I didn’t say the majority of smart bulbs, I said the majority of device.

Then you should know that you can set static IPs directly from your PC, tablet and smartphone. And that is more user-friendly. Same thing for lots of printers, game consoles and wireless devices.
Anyway you said: [quote=“dalanik, post:10, topic:742”]
this is more a router issue than client
[/quote]
He didn’t tell his router model and it was clear that the guy didn’t know anything about IP reservation.

I was angry because the first staff guy didn’t try to help but he just said:

What? I don’t know where your anger come from… I was just trying to help him. I already suggested him do IP reservation on router because our device (a bulb, a bulb) can’t support static IP allocation (did you expect we could provide a web portal and let user enter IP address???). The bulb already supports a SSDP-like protocol, any decent gateway should be able to find it easily through UDP multicast, it only costs a developer ten minutes to do that. I just don’t understand why Home Assistant plugin doesn’t support that.

I’m using “Address Reservation” and works perfectly here.

what get to me here is that Yeelight bulbs seem to break my routers ability to setup DHCP fixed IP based on mac addresses. If there was an option in Yeelight to set fixed IP instead I would had been able to use that without breaking my router. A router I cannot change and are forced to use by my “Internet Service Provider”. Effectively making my life harder with smart lights instead of easier… because now I have to go to Home Assistant and change the IP address Every single time my router decides that my light bulbs should have a new IP… which essentially could be every day or never or anywhere in between.

Try This:
Find the ip address of your light
goto command prompt
enter “nslookup IPADDRESS” (obviously replace IPADDRESS with the address)
nslookup will respond with “Name: HOSTNAME”

Now use the returned HOSTNAME instead of the ip address,
the HOSTNAME should not change even if the ip address does

On my machine:
nslookup 192.168.0.43
Returned
Name: yeelink-light-color2_miio133579709.lan

to test:
ping yeelink-light-color2_miio133579709.lan

I bought a yeelight color bulb for testing to decide if it’s all good for me or not. I had two issues with that bulb. One is the lack of possibility to have a static ip address if I want it. Yes, I want, and no, I don’t want to use any DHCP server reservation. The other is not to have quota if I don’t use cloud. Yes, I don’t want to use cloud, I prefer my own VPN if I want to control my IoT devices when I’m not home. I’ve found both issues in the forum but I really didn’t like the answers of the staff. I think that an OPTIONAL thing -let’s say advanced settings- wouldn’t harm anyone. Everyone could use cloud, everyone could use DHCP if there’s an option in an advanced settings menu to choose static ip and to turn off cloud. Of course still can be the default to have a dhcp ip address and cloud turned on. Almost all IoT device I’m using has the ability to have a static IP -even my air conditioner and ups-, only yeelight and sonoff doesn’t. Okay, the second can be solve with 3rdparty firmware. I’d be really happy if yeelight would change their mind this way, because the device itself is cool, but those features are missing for me to buy more than this testing one I already have.