Yeelight RGV Keeps Losing WiFi

That is a good plan and it might work fine, only one issue though - I think you might have problems with MUSIC mode if you want to access Yeelights from another subnet. This is somethin I have tried first (makes sense to have different subnet for Yeelights) but music mode was not working (well). So I have everything on one subnet but another router and IP reservations (from x.x.x.200 upward is reserved for smart home)

You do you.

I am keeping this alive for those of us who won’t buy a Xiaomi AP just to be compatible with Xiaomi wifi products, however. It’s an interoperable protocol and any failure to interoperate is a failure regardless of the workaround, so whilst I wish you well in the endeavour it won’t change the outcome for others.

It may however end up being the first verified working platform if you’d be as kind as to share your experience with us.

I’ll not be bothering with another router as further investigations have eliminated this as a cause to my mind. I am sure that everyone here that has suggested routers as being the issue has been doing so in good faith but I am confident that is not the issue, at least for me. I’ll outline how I reached this conclusion below for the community.

My smart device problem has been getting worse of late so that, even though the issues have been intermittent and inconsistent, I had reached the point where there would always be at least one issue somewhere. My example is probably more extreme than most because I have over 50 devices, 12 of which are Yeelights. Always having some problem or other has at least now enabled me to troubleshoot further though.

The issues always appeared to be with Yeelight products showing as offline in the app. Other devices from other manufacturers were starting to be affected in that they would sometimes miss IFTTT events but would always be there in their respective apps. This wrongly led me to suspect general issues with my network and so I had been trying different network components over the last few weeks yet the problem persisted.

Yesterday, I thought I’d reserve addresses so that all my Yeelight products were allocated addresses next to each other. To my surprise, I found that a number of the Yeelight devices were using IP addresses that were also claimed by other manufacturers’ devices. This was a Eureka moment because all of the symptoms I had experienced could have been caused by duplicate IPs. I continued to reserve addresses and found that some Yeelight devices would not use the new range even though the leases must have expired on the addresses they were using. Restarting everything (including the the router with DHCP enabled, my wireless access points and the wifi extenders to force the issue) did not make the difference it should have for these suspect Yeelights although it did work for other manufacturer’s devices and some Yeelights.

Next, I disabled DHCP on my Belkin router and replaced with a TP-Link router. I left all Yeelights off while setting this up and configured the TP-Link router with the DHCP reservations. I then restarted the Yeelights one by one and they were all correctly allocated my chosen IP addresses for each of them. All looked good in the app and I was feeling unduly smug. Everything from all manufacturers started to work perfectly and consistently. I at last had regained a working Smart Home.

Everything worked perfectly until this morning that is. I now find the same 4 suspect Yeelight devices are intermittently showing as offline in the app. Everything else by every other manufacturer is working.

I have confirmed that the suspect devices are definitely retaining the correct IP address and I still have no duplicate IP addresses which is something. Pinging the suspect devices though shows intermittent dropped packets and responses from 2ms to 400ms. The Wifi strength is definitely good and there is no channel conflict with neighbours (confirmed using various apps on my mobile but also evident with the Xiaomi Wifi Range Extenders currently placed next to the Yeelights remaining connected throughout and reporting as healthy in the Yeelight app).

I have now found that switching off the suspect Yeelights for an extended period (say 30mins) makes them reliable at first but leaving them on gradually degrades their Wifi reliability. I suspect this may have been the reason the DHCP was going awry for me before (with them requesting an address but not successfully responding with an ack or maybe not successfully renewing fully). This may also explain why some other users have found changing routers has helped (maybe the new router’s DHCP is more tolerant or maybe the act of the changeover and forced reset fixes things for them in the same way it did for me very temporarily).

Regardless of the DHCP challenges, my Yeelight failures clearly cannot be resolved by changing my router. I can say this with absolute confidence because I can test the local device connectivity with pings even with my router turned off. The suspect devices and my laptop are both connected to the same Xiaomi Wifi Extender and both in the same local subnet so that there is no router involved in the ping and I still see a gradually degrading success rate. I have tried different wireless access points for the extenders just to eliminate that as a possibility and this makes no difference.

I am in the situation where I have some Yeelights that are rock solid and others (exactly the same model) are unreliable even though they are all connected to the same environment on the same account. With them all running the same firmware, my only conclusion is that issue is actually a hardware fault and I will be removing the suspect devices but keeping my other Yeelights. If this is the same for others that have been reporting similar unreliability then it may be a general quality-control issue with the hardware. It may be others have other issues though of course - this has just been my experience.

Yes, looks like hardware fault… very nice and detailed reading :slight_smile:

Glad you have found the issue you were facing, @DarthVoda.

In the meantime, I’ll keep this thread open for those of us who are not experiencing the problem described, but instead the intermittent loss of wifi connectivity entirely as identified by the fact that the devices fail to respond to any network traffic on their previously assigned IP address and that their MAC address no longer appears as a connected station, until the bulb is powered off and on again.

Just to add another wrinkle to this: my Yeelight bulb will respond to the app and to LAN TCP calls made from a Python program according to the LAN specification. But intermittently it fails to respond to SSDP discovery requests as I reported in Intermittent responses to SSDP requests. Even at the times it fails to respond to SSDP requests it still responds to the app and to direct TCP requests. I’m using a Linksys router, and I have no problems with any other devices at any times.

I have been trying to build a Mycroft (like Alexa, only open source) digital assistant skill for the Yeelight bulbs. The failure of SSDP discovery to work means that I can only post it with a rider “intermittently breaks due to problems with discovery unresolved by Yeelight” and that isn’t very satisfactory!

I thought I had a problem locally, but apparently I’m not alone. Yeelight bulb very often loses the network. For last year I had three different routers and all connected devices (except Yeelight bulb) worked stably, including Xiaomi Vacuum, which regularly cleans the entire apartment (and it never lost network connection). At the same time, the Yeelight bulb is a meter away from the router and has regular problems…

Basically, the loss of the network occurs after a possible turn off the light in the apartment (which happens in the winter). At the same time, neither restarting the router, nor turning off and turning on the Yeelight bulb does not help, only a full reset. Today, the loss of the network was three times and this is clearly annoying: (

I also recently started having problems with my Yeelight Strip after updating to a Wifi Mesh network (Tenda MW6). The strip disconnects and becomes unavailable anywhere between 12/24hrs, after a power cycle it rejoins the network fine. All other devices on the new Mesh network stay connected fine.
I will check my firmware version this evening, after power-cycling the bulb.
Very disappointing really, I won’t be buying any more until the issue is resolved.

Ok, I figured out the problem with mine.
The Tenda MW6 Mesh has a ‘Maintenance’ schedule, it is turned on by default and reboots the entire Mesh at 3am. All my other devices are able to reconnect once the network comes back online, but the Yeelight Strip was not. Since turning off this ‘Maintenance’, I have retained a stable connection.

I was hoping to see a resolution to this issue. I have 3 separate installation using yeelights and the all have this problem.
One installation in particular has 12 yeelights and 10 separate wifi switches (Sonoff, Dlink & Xiaomi) that have nothing to do with the lights.
At the moment 6 of the 12 yeelights are showing unavailable in Home assistant and every other component on the network is fine.
I have reserved DHCP addresses in the router for all the yeelights, and a netscan clearly shows that the 6 unavailable lights aren’t on the network. From experience if I power these lights off then on again the will rejoin the network and a few days later leave again. Wifi signal strength is fine and there is no interference from neighboring networks.
This clearly appears to be a yeelight inability to reconnect to the network.

Oh man, you’re an absolute legend.
I just created an account to thank you for posting that up.

I’ve recently gotten the Tenda MW3 and was running into this exact same problem and I’m not sure if I would’ve even thought of the maintenance setting… checked through every other one but wouldn’t have even dawned on me to check the maintenance section.

Thanks again!

Hi!

I think I have a problem that some people have as well but unable to identify it due to hardware specifics

I have 5 Yeelight ledstrips, each extended to 7-8 m
I had lots if different issues with them (not responding in Mi Home, not responding in Yeelight app, not responding in Homekit, wrong colors) which I hope (and it seems so) were partly fixed by me (static IPs from router, LAN control off, avoiding router reboots, increasing wifi signal, changing the channel)
But there is one issue I haven’t solved yet. After some time some if my lightstrips become:

• unavailable in the app
  • unavailable in the Homekit
  • disconnected from router (not in the MAC address list)

It seems like a problem many people are having and namibg it “loss of wifi connection”, but ledstrips have one additional way of troubleshooting - trying to turn on/off by button. And here’s the 4th point:

• device doesn’t react to physical interactions!

So maybe some of the cases reported are not only wifi problems, but a total freeze of the device. Without the button, you can’t tell one case from another

Thanks to this thread today I’m going to test if my devices are overheating (using my Homekit thermometer - I hope that will be enough), but if it won’t explain the cause, I’m desperate

Now I really regret installing Yeelight devices and hope to get rid of them as soon as possible one I buy more reliable tech

Thanks for this thread!

Exactly same problems here.
I will never buy yeelights again.

Are you sure you have upgraded your device to latest firmware? The freezing issue has been fixed already.

The last time firmware was mentioned ion this thread about it fixing the freezing issue, I checked my firmware and it was on the latest and I still had issues.

So, I don’t think the firmware update fully addressed the issue.

Hello!
I’ve a lot of Yeelight lamps, 480 / 650 / Ceiling Crystal Pro and they work fine.
I’ve also 3 Bulb Color YLDP06YL and they are constantly OFF, loosing connection.
They are all devices in same router! Why I’ve only problem with bulbs? It’s really annoying and it seems a problem that it still to solve, it’s shame that you don’t have a response.
My bulbs have latest firmware, and when I disconnect them from electric and reconnect, they get connect to apps. Why is this problem not solved?

I think, problem solved. I have archer c7 v5 too. My problem was, when my router (or router radio) turn off, and on, yeelight can’t reconnect to the router. My workaround: enabled 2,4G guest wifi network, all smart bulb connected to this. After this, work for me very well.

1 个赞

Hi all, please have a try, the issue has been fixed.

Hello come with the same problem, the connections are lost and even on occasions they are reset without even interacting with them.

I have approximately 1 year with the same Wi-Fi network, Same number of devices (even less) same router already about 3 months ago since the problems started updating, there is a possibility of downgrade, since they worked well before updating it

Until today, my connection for the Lightbar pro is really bad. I can’t use the product at all, cause it does not work offline, which is a real nightmare. What a shame, cause I did all the steps mentioned in all the posts. Definitely, the product does not worth the money.